The Historical Town Center


Part of the central historical portion of the city is still bounded by Aragon walls dating back to the mid XV century, subsequently modified by Charles the 5th, who added the 'Bastioni', rampart strategic towers. Between these, the renovated St. Giacomo Tower stands; it today is used for public meetings and art exhibitions, and Porta Mesagne gate, in the main entrance in Brindisi. The ogival shaped main gate origin is of swebian ages (about 1243). The smaller gate was built about 1930's.
Close to the gate there is a impressive pentagonal plant rampart, built in aragon age (1530-1550); on its south-west edge the Charles the 5th coat of arms stands out.
Another important entrance (gate) to the city is Porta Lecce, flanked by her antique fortified walls.

In the center of the town, along a street to Cathedral Square, there is the old building called Granafei Nervegna, of XVI century.
In Cathedral Square one can visit:

It is very interesting to visit the archaeological area in the old quarter of San Pietro degli Schiavoni. It is a roman quarter, measuring about 5.000 sq. mts., that lies under the new theatre. You can freely visit it or see it through the transparent floor of the theatre: there are ancient buildings decorated with marbles, mosaics, some Thermae and a large street made out of flat stones. Near there, in Casimiro street, other ruins of houses and a temple are visible.

Close to Porta Mesagne gate there are some ruins of the roman aqueduct, called Vasche Limarie. The tanks were collecting drinkable water by means of pipes coming from a place named "Pozzo de Vito", 12 km far.
The subsequent flow of the water through several tanks, allowed cleaning of water by decantation, before supplying it to town's fountains.

In the middle of Victory square there is the ancient fountain built in 1618 by royal governor Peter Louis De Torres. The fountain was built to be used by the soldiers of spanish galleon that were at anchor in the harbour. All citizens contributed with both money and services to built the fountain; a marble basin, previously used as a christening font, was used and four "mouths" were applaied to it.

In Cairoli square, close railway station, there is the Anchors Fountain, built in 1937.